Inferno, by Dan Brown

thereadingiris's review against another edition

What a pleasure to reread this book while being in Florence and recognizing places or pieces of art. A real delight, made me appreciate this book even more than the first time around!

mslestat's review

Bleh. Two stars is generous.

mau_reeny's review

I love me some Dan Brown. I don't understand why he gets so much flak from the literary world. Ok, I kind of get it. Lit snobs consider him low-brow and bemoan his "undeserved" popularity. I think there is also a group out there, to which I maybe sort of belong, that enjoy Dan Brown but see his books as fluff and are annoyed that his work is often mistaken for serious literature. I think this type of criticism was especially prevalent around the time "The Da Vinci Code" was released. And while I felt snobby even typing that last critique, I can relate to a certain degree. Many people fawned over Dan Brown for having uncovered an ancient mystery and he probably got more credit than he deserved for originality. By that I mean that the theories he used to build his story (which he took significant creative license with, as is his right as an author of fiction) had been around for awhile and he just brought them into the mainstream. So while I couldn't care less if his books are "high-brow" or "low-brow" I can relate to the criticism that his books aren't quite as important as some may claim. Does acknowledging the latter prevent me from joyfully consuming Dan Brown's offerings? Absolutely not. Give me all the Robert Langdon you have, please.

Now, on to "Inferno."

Oh Dan, Dan, Dan Dan. You are so funky with your punctuation and it drives me bananas. Why all the ellipses? Why are people always exclaiming with like this!? It's a bit much. Consider toning it down for the next Langdon adventure?

There are 104 chapters in this book and 462 pages. Why are some chapters only 1 page? Why do the vast majority of your chapters end in a cliffhanger? I get it, shifting points of view, keeping up the suspense. But Dan my man, it drives me as bananas as your punctuation.

The Council on Foreign Relations is a shady, nefarious network of all the powerful people in the world? I know you take creative liberties with real-world facts and famous people, but I couldn't quite suspend enough of my disbelief for this one. CFR is following me on Twitter and I only have 82 followers. I WISH they were as top-secret and all-powerful as you claim because that would make me seem way cooler, but I think that's too much of a stretch.

How many times does Langdon need to mention clothing brands in the book? He has more important things going on! Like his amnesia!

And yet... I still love you DB. Langdon is part-James Bond, part-Indiana Jones, part-nerd, part-badass. I love reading about art history and symbols and traveling with Langdon. I love that your books have fun twists that manage to surprise me even when I know one is coming.

So keep the Langdon adventures coming, Dan. I'll be reading them.

krishmys's review

Ok, so I have read all the six books from Dan Brown (pat on the back) but I think it is high time he stops with Robert Langdon!

I mean, I would definitely read more of RL but please make it stop, enough is enough, he goes somewhere, he is dilemma, he gets a girl (always) and they go doing Sherlock and Dr Watson. They feel for each other but they can't be together (Always the same) and so on and so forth.
And if you are planning to read a Guide book about Italy, Florence and Venice along with some RL adventure this book is point accurate perfect.

I mean come on, why the hell RL is always lost in thoughts explaining to himself all the effing building and monuments and what not's. Skim the book dude, please it is too much to grasp.
We know the building is there but why you go to specifics which happens nothing to do with the current plot??!!

All in all a good interesting book with repetitive scenarios, I wanted to read it before the Movie so just did it, and this time it was a bit slow read, due to all the guide book things.

and please be last!!!

natejohansen's review against another edition

adventurous tense fast-paced

maryfw's review

I felt it was true to Dan Brown's style of writing and therefore very predictable. I enjoyed it and when the time comes they make it a movie, I will probably watch it...

deanreads4711's review

This wasn't my favorite Robert Langdon plot, but it was pretty good. Some of the twists and turns seemed like they were out of place or shouldn't have been written into the story. I did like the scientific edge that this novel had...especially the microbiology!

thesmudge's review

This was my first Dan Brown book. I must say that I really enjoyed it. Fast paced with a tight story that does not get bogged down in the middle with filler like so many other books. Sure there are one or two "Deus Ex Machina" moments in the story but they do not take away from the drama and excitement that the book creates. The characters for the most part of sufficiently complex and believable. The action takes place in environments in which one longs for a museum picture book so that you guy better see the things he describes. But the descriptions are usually enough to allow you to see them in your minds eye.

Standard fiction is not something I typically read often, I am more a science fiction guy but I must say I found this novel a joy to read and I could not wait to get back to it when I had to take breaks. I consumed this novel entirely via audiobook and there was more than one time in which I found myself sitting in the parking garage at work or in the driveway at home and continue to listen until I reached a suitable stopping point that would not drive me crazy.

As for this being Dan Brown, there are those who would care and those who do not. Most who care do so because of him being the author of "The Da Vinci Code". A book/movie that stirred much controversy. I for one have not read that book but I have read enough synopsis etc. to know that while the world in his book is one in which it thinks it has proven Christianity false it ultimately is a world of fantasy that essentially falls down under scrutiny if one tries to apply it to reality. I wont read it as I find the concept rubbish and it offends my faith. Having said that, I see no problem in reading his other works and enjoy them. I may try another of his at some point in the future.

moonvest's review

What a guilty pleasure. Somewhat objectively bad, but just fun to read. It's like having someone read art history Wikipedia articles to you while they're being shot at.

stephanylectora12's review

No puedo esperar a que salga la pelĂ­cula.
Una de mis mejores lecturas de este 2016.