A Heart So Fierce and Broken by Brigid Kemmerer

wikass_04's review

adventurous challenging dark sad tense fast-paced

jmj697mn's review against another edition

Grey>Rhen

ehaigh's review

adventurous funny medium-paced

hilspd's review

adventurous dark inspiring mysterious tense medium-paced

1madchild's review against another edition

not sure how to feel about this series.

called the soloution as soon as we found out about how the heirs are chosen.

loved isak.

mostly just frustrating.

want to see how it all wraps up.

sunshine169's review against another edition

After finishing A Curse so Dark and Lonely I was highly anticipating this beautifully covered follow-up and was super ecstatic that I was approved for the e-arc. Unfortunately I find myself saddened and let down. I cannot review this book without spoilers so fair warning.

I'll start with Grey.

What happened here? He was so adamant about not wanting the throne that he ran away from Rhen.

He eventually is accidentally caught and brought back to the palace. He and Rhen have a sit down and pretty much affirm their bond of friendship. Then Grey decides that he will not tell Rhen who the heir is because he fears he will be killed. He doesn't trust Rhen which is outside of the character story from book one, which is a whole other issue.

Has no one heard of abdication? You don't want the throne don't take it. Have a sit down conversation. No one has to die. This was unbelievably irritating. I realize without this there would be no story line but that just makes for a poor one in my opinion. Honestly, I would like to believe, even though Rhen was horrible in this book, that he would not have killed Grey. Instead Grey decides to escape with Lia Mara, the unfortunate daughter of Queen Karis Luran and poor Harper replacement, and basically becomes influenced to take the throne and eventually threatens to march on Emberfall. Yet it was Rhen's remark to Grey at the end that, "A friend would have told me. A brother would have told me," that reaffirms my belief that something could have been worked out prior to Grey's brainwashing.

Other disappointments include the disappearance of Princess Harper of DiSi and the character reversal of Prince Rhen. Our strong heroine from book one completely disappears from this book and only serves as a prop to quell Prince Rhen who has made a reversal in character development. Rhen spent book one trying to NOT be a bad guy only to become the crazed bad guy in book two. I'm going to need to know why but I am not sure I want to invest anymore of my time hoping to find out. Also is he that thick that he couldn't figure out Grey was his brother after Grey repeatedly refused to give him a name? Everyone else figured it out right away. It took Grey's show of magic during his escape for Rhen to realize what was right in his face. Not really king worthy in my opinion anyway.

Overall I did not enjoy this book. I was pretty disappointed in the plot turn.

Thank you to Netgalley and Bloomsbury YA for an e-arc of this book in exchange for my honest review.

katie_samsock's review against another edition

Keeping this short cuz the second I finish typing I’m jumping in my car to pick up the third installment I have on hold. This is one of the few times the sequel has lived up to the first. I’m so freaking excited to start the third but at the same time sad because it means I coming closer to the end of my time in this world Brigid Kemmerer has created. This is coming from someone who is not known to be a huge YA or fantasy genre fan. OMG I love this series

breathewordscarol's review

adventurous emotional mysterious tense fast-paced

kaylawhite17's review against another edition

This book was just okay for me. I really missed Harper and Rhen's perspectives. I also didn't love the romance between Grey and Lia Mara felt forced and not genuine. I was so confused by all the original characters actions. I couldn't understand Greg's refusal to tell Rhen he was the heir. I hated how much a push over Harper became. I felt like this book was going to be a love triangle based on the end of the last one but that was not closely accurate. I felt like Harper wasn't sure of her feelings for the prince when the last book ended yet in this one she loves him so much to accept him being a shitty person and turned her back on her brother. I just didn't love it.

mchris05's review against another edition

Love this twisted fairytale. I wanted to throw it across the room and hunt down Brigid to give her a piece of my mind.