Reviews for Dark Places, by Gillian Flynn

thewhitesun's review against another edition

A vampire of a story.

When I first began reading it negativity was immediately presented (a specific type of negativity that grates on my nerves) in the main character and I questioned whether I’d like this story, but, I continued on, wanting to give it a chance. I like the way Gillian wrote. I like her humor. I found her similes and metaphors to be creative and on point. The plot keep my attention, yet felt like it dragged here and there. Ben’s timeline seems off. I don’t remember where I started reading it just to get to the end, to know who did it and be done with it. After finishing, I let it all soak in and became irritated that I couldn’t completely like any of the characters. I could relate to some things and I could sympathize with a lot of things but every character was a one-dimensional paper cut-out. The flaws in each character were highlighted, strictly. Even the ending which alluded to hope also gave the impression that it would only happen in the day dreams of the characters. Whether this was done intentionally, I don’t know, it very well may have been for the sake of the "dark places" theme. It felt lazy. The ending also felt lazy and cut off from an actual finish.

ncresser's review against another edition

I didn't love this book. I thought I would because I loved Gone Girl so much, but I had a really hard time finishing it. I had to find out what happened though, so I did finish it! It really was dark...and depressing.

joannemiro1948's review

dark mysterious sad tense fast-paced

ashley_k70's review against another edition

dark tense medium-paced

maissiemusick's review

adventurous dark emotional hopeful mysterious sad tense medium-paced

lostinthelibrary's review against another edition

Wow this book definitely lives up to its title. It was dark! But I must have a case of morbid curiosity as I couldn't put it down. Gillian Flynn definitely knows how to craft a thriller and constantly keep you guessing. Now excuse me while I go read about puppies, kittens and rainbows!

sammymoo's review against another edition

Did I create a goodreads just to spread the Gillian Flynn gospel? Maybe so. Now this is the first book that wasn't nailed in a tv/movie adaptation, but don't be deterred. The book is still top-tier, like I literally could not put it down, even though nobody talks about it. She's really not afraid to write about woman that have little-no redeeming qualities and I love her for it.

Another unhinged woman to add to the shelf of Miss. Gillian? I think so. Never stop writing thrillers, never.

poisoned_icecream's review against another edition

dark emotional hopeful mysterious reflective sad tense medium-paced

rian501's review against another edition

A definite page turner!

elyssaisntreal's review

challenging dark emotional mysterious tense medium-paced