Elantris, by Brandon Sanderson

rbackstrom's review

I really liked this book, but I read it after reading all the Mistborn and Stormlight Archive books, and those (especially the Stormlight Archive) are absolutely mindblowingly good. This one is another fabulous Sanderson book, but I like the other ones more. That being said, do I want a sequel? Yes. Do I want to know more? Yes. Am I going to recommend this book? Yes.

callsignemma's review against another edition

I absolutely LOVED this book. Just as I thought it was going in 1 direction it took a completely unexpected turn and it was AMAZING. Brandon Sanderson is an incredible author and I can't wait to read more of his work.

megestewart3's review against another edition

emotional hopeful inspiring mysterious medium-paced

bookgoblin's review

3.5/5
Never really thought I'd enjoy a book with zombie-esque characters as much as I enjoyed this one. After having read all of Mistborn Era 1 and 2, it's clear this is one of Sanderson's weaker books. However, I'd like to note that a weak book from Sanderson is still a good read in general.

ohakan's review

8/10

hopemarie_f_hughes's review

You’d never think this was a debut. After reading the Mistborn trilogy, it was great to see how Sanderson got his start.

Expertly crafted, Elantris dives into a fantasy world where people turn into the half-dead. The treatment of these people, religion, and classism all are what make Elantris exceptional.

Highly recommend!

pgjorgjioski's review against another edition

First Sanderson book, and definitely not last.

This book was amazing from start to finish even though it had a couple of slow spots, but really good overall.

nickel_8990's review

It’s an interesting concept, and the characters are likable; but so much of the story felt incomplete and too many of the situations too contrived.

venguishella's review

I'm thoroughly impressed that this was his debut novel, i would've fallen in love with the world just the same without knowing how big it would become.

As always i am in awe with the worldbuilding and how in depth each of the characters are. I honestly don't think i have any complaints asides from his style of writing which have changed quite a bit since this book.

I have to say that this book's ending has a stronger and satisfying ending than some of his work, which i was surprised by because i am usually left feeling needing more after finishing a book from Brandon Sanderson (which i still kind of feel) but i also feel satisfied and complete at the same time that i don't think this will haunt me for the next week.

He makes such simple storylines intertwining with one another in complicated ways that i am just here admiring it all.

Also i need Sarene and Shallan to meet

rubyshiels's review

Sanderson is truely the best

4/5
Sanderson can honestly do non wrong in my opinion, the fact that his debut was this good blows my mind.
I absolutely adored the concept of Elantris and Elantrians and I also really enjoyed the politics of this book.
The characters were likeable but I never really felt like I knew them completely compared to Sandersons other works.
The magic system was also not as complex or explained as thoroughly as his other magic systems but this was debut and it was so cool to see how far he has evolved.
I definitely recommend this book I think it’s fantastic and really great for someone wanting to get into Sanderson without jumping into the deep end