House of Hollow, by Krystal Sutherland

ju_shi's review against another edition

dark emotional mysterious fast-paced

nadian99's review

من هیچ من نگاه
از هر نظر زیبا و وحشتناک بود

Orilium : Obsidian Falls

eveyv's review against another edition

Upon reading this book was something out of the magical realism sphere, I got a little scared. That's not a genre I'm fond of and I didn't have the best experiences while reading it. That, along with all the literary disappointments I had this year, lowered my expectations. Just in case, you know?

And, praise the book gods, I thoroughly enjoyed my reading experience! It was dark. It was gritty. It was beautiful. And I couldn't stop reading.

mariireads's review

With most of my reviews I start with what I liked, what I didn't like, then who I would recommend this for.

Beautiful cover, and a very interesting premise. The sisters aesthetic was really cool and interesting.
The sister relationship in this book is very cute.
I would check the TW before reading

Going in I was expecting a darkish horror YA and it was kinda that but didn't live up to the hype for me.
This story was very similar to "every heart a doorway" and that book did not work for me and neither did this one. I cant exactly pin point it but something about the writing and execution misses the mark for me.
There was a "comical relief" character I believe I could've done without. I found the plot twist predictable and some of the characters weren't enjoyable at all.

I personally did not enjoy this book, I don't think I would read this again. I think if you enjoyed Every Heart a Doorway then you would like this and if you like a mild horror YA mystery with a very light midsommer aesthetic this may be for you.

little_imp_academia's review

dark mysterious tense medium-paced

emilyrosep's review

First and foremost, this book was simply extremely well written. The language was poetic and is the reason I have fallen in love with this book. Furthermore, the world building was masterfully done. However, the author did enough foreshadowing and bread-crumbing that I found it pretty easy to guess the twist. I had hoped it was all a red herring, but, alas, it was not. (I did not, however, guess the identity of the stalker.) All in all, I really enjoyed the book and I would like a sequel please and thank you!

ncan99's review

dark emotional mysterious sad tense slow-paced

erseg's review

dark mysterious tense

florian's review

dark mysterious tense fast-paced

evelum's review

This was a surprising and heart-warming read for me, neither of which were things that I expected. If you like mystery, adventure, fairytales and ghost stories, this should be a good read for you. I don't think this is a very scary or heavy book, because the writing style has a dreamy quality that leaves even the darkest feelings the main character experiences, at a distance. For me it was exactly what I needed, because I had just read My Dark Vanessa before this book, where all the terrible feelings got under my skin. I don't think I could have read another emotionally taxing book so soon.

I liked how the relationship between the sisters was depicted; a lot to say without too many words. The aesthetic of the story is quite timeless, though a little gothic, which held my interest. I also appreciated how there was very little
Spoilerromance
, since I wasn't in the mood for that. The resolve made me
Spoilercry happy tears
because I had prepared for something else. Overall, a very good reading experience for me.