This Might Get Awkward, by Kara McDowell

emmmrose's review against another edition

slow-paced

megdconway's review against another edition

fast-paced

ashleyllanes's review against another edition

lighthearted relaxing

evareneg's review against another edition

lighthearted fast-paced

This was fine. It was easy to read because it was easy but it was also annoying. I hated the main character half because she was kind of creepy stalker as in “if this was a man I would be disgusted” and half because she was too much like me. Thats all.

mcsowat's review against another edition

Major cringe but also very fun, especially for anyone with a deep and abiding love for While You We’re Sleeping

ididsomereading's review against another edition

I just don’t care about the store, I didn’t care about the romance (felt like nothing was happening) I was almost half way and felt sad that I was only half way. It’s a small book only 316 pages so the timing felt weird and the pace just wasn’t good.

nbreezy17's review against another edition

funny lighthearted fast-paced

eringonz's review

Awkward is an Understatement

I love the fact that this was a WHILE YOU WERE SLEEPING revamp for a younger audience. Gemma has a longtime crush on Beau, the beautiful, popular jock of her high school; he barely knows her name. When he falls off a boat and nearly dies, Gemma swoops in to save him. While he’s recovering in a coma, a misunderstanding about their relationship status snowballs into Gemma dodging a reporter, lying to Beau’s friends and family, and growing closer with Beau’s wayward older brother, Griff, who has come home in swirl of rumors and grief. Gemma and Griff are drawn to each other immediately. Gemma, usually trapped by her social anxiety disorder, feels comfortable with Griff in ways she never has around anyone else. Griff is a lovable bad boy with an even worse reputation. He helps Gemma come into her own and she softens him up into looking at their hometown with fresh eyes. But what will happen when Beau wakes up?

For the most part, I really like a lot about this book. Gemma’s social anxiety was done so well, and offered a very nuanced look at how those intrusive thoughts can be so hard to overcome. What kept me from loving this story was Beau and Griff’s relationship. I wish we had gotten more of a heart to heart from them resolving their issues that were such a main part of conflict.

breadbread's review against another edition

fast-paced

kfreads's review against another edition

funny inspiring lighthearted