Reviews tagging Grief

A Lesson in Vengeance, by Victoria Lee

littlebookaddict's review against another edition

dark mysterious medium-paced

I’m not usually into mystery, seeing as I don’t like not knowing things, but this was a dark academia ghostly book about academies and witches. I just had to read it. It was so much more than a mystery it was a dark reflection of passion and the need to create something perfect, the hunger to strive for true excellence in your work. I sort of saw the plot twist coming but the realization of my thoughts becoming truth was invigorating. Some part of me hoped that it wasn’t true, but I’m honestly glad the way Lee took the story to twist it into an even darker book. I love the way this book portrayed emotional disturbance, mental illness, and the stress of modern day. While also portraying the complex relationships and betrayals of the characters. A lesson in vengeance is the perfect title for this book because it summarizes the book in 4 words. I was encapsulated by this book and recommend people who are fans of dark fiction to read this! And also was super thrilled to finally read a dark academia book where the main character was lesbian and the side characters sibling was non-binary. We need more LGBTQ+ dark academia novels in society today.

I will say though while there was a good diversity of sexuality’s and gender expression the solely black character that was included was only used as an interpretation of the “wrongness” of the academy to use a woman of color to their benefit, while basically using this said woman of color to heighten a white woman’s experience. They glanced over important topics of the civil rights movement and barely explored Leonie except to say she was a black woman. I definitely think Lee could’ve used her for more than that not just further a white woman’s experience with racism and it’s history.

Nevertheless, my perception of the novel is one that is eerily creepy yet beautifully haunting and will love reading this again and again and recommending to my friends to see their reactions.

alouette's review against another edition

dark mysterious relaxing fast-paced

in the end, i don't think this book was my cup of tea, even though i love some of the author's other works. the purple prose was a slog a lot of the time, the twist was obvious, and the entire setup just felt sad. basically, a girl with many mental health issues gets manipulated by another girl with mental health issues, they treat each other poorly, things spiral into darkness, and in the end it doesn't seem like either of them got the help they needed.
SpoilerFelicity's highly paid therapist doesn't even call her once!

it's layered with stories of witches/ghosts/the occult that don't serve any purpose except to make things fit a certain aesthetic, which feels very contrived. a lot of plot points, like the "cult" happenings, had no payoff, especially not for the side characters, who were very flat. i did appreciate the bits that dealt with Felicity's past and her previous girlfriend, though, and i enjoyed the ending!
Spoilergotta appreciate a girl who just kills off the person who's manipulated her and is blackmailing her instead of beating around the bush!

luisereads's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional mysterious sad tense slow-paced

oliverreeds's review against another edition

dark mysterious tense slow-paced

good. it’s just that it got slow sometimes. it could be repetitive but the set up was great and the characters were very compelling. the ending wasn’t predictable but it was hinted at and i liked it

gm_vak's review against another edition

dark mysterious tense medium-paced

hannahlberg's review against another edition

adventurous dark funny mysterious sad tense medium-paced

This book was really easy to get lost in. I wish I had read it closer to halloween! Spooky and dramatic

ariheishichou's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional mysterious sad tense medium-paced

lettuce_read's review against another edition

dark

keatynbergsten's review against another edition

challenging dark emotional mysterious tense medium-paced

thatbookishfamily's review