Reviews tagging Alcohol

A Lesson in Vengeance, by Victoria Lee

aqulia's review against another edition

dark mysterious reflective

For my first dark academia book, I was not disappointed.  The characters in it are great.  Felicity and Ellis are wonderfully complex, and I liked the side characters to.  The twists are very well done.  I also liked the setting, and the overall vibe.  This book goes into darker places than I was expecting, even from reading Story graph's general trigger warnings.  One big thing I disliked about the book was the repetitiveness of the plot.  Felicity and Ellis go on secret spooky hangouts with each other too many times.  The pacing also suffered towards the end.  All in all, this is a great book.

Who do I recommend this to? People who like dark academia, people who like unreliable narrators, and people who like complex relationships between characters
Who should skip this? People who don't want to read about a very toxic relationship, people who like lighthearted books, and people who dislike a repetitive plot.
Will I read more by Victoria Lee? Maybe.  This book was pretty good, but I wasn't super thrilled by it.

jamierenee98's review

dark emotional mysterious tense medium-paced

I really enjoyed this book! Dark academia with lesbians?!
The twist was fun and this book was intense. Please read the trigger warnings.

alouette's review against another edition

dark mysterious relaxing fast-paced

in the end, i don't think this book was my cup of tea, even though i love some of the author's other works. the purple prose was a slog a lot of the time, the twist was obvious, and the entire setup just felt sad. basically, a girl with many mental health issues gets manipulated by another girl with mental health issues, they treat each other poorly, things spiral into darkness, and in the end it doesn't seem like either of them got the help they needed.
SpoilerFelicity's highly paid therapist doesn't even call her once!

it's layered with stories of witches/ghosts/the occult that don't serve any purpose except to make things fit a certain aesthetic, which feels very contrived. a lot of plot points, like the "cult" happenings, had no payoff, especially not for the side characters, who were very flat. i did appreciate the bits that dealt with Felicity's past and her previous girlfriend, though, and i enjoyed the ending!
Spoilergotta appreciate a girl who just kills off the person who's manipulated her and is blackmailing her instead of beating around the bush!

flyingryndeer's review against another edition

dark mysterious tense medium-paced

oliverreeds's review against another edition

dark mysterious tense slow-paced

good. it’s just that it got slow sometimes. it could be repetitive but the set up was great and the characters were very compelling. the ending wasn’t predictable but it was hinted at and i liked it

justmereadinghere's review against another edition

dark mysterious tense medium-paced

// Content Warning: Alcohol / Animal death / Death (graphic) / Murder/ Toxic relationship //

The plot is very easy to follow, despite it being... bloody. Literally, so much blood. In the most basic sense, A Lesson in Vengeance follows a girl named Felicity (who is very very gay I must add) through her last year at this school which is falling apart in all possible ways (like Jesus, at least paint the fucking walls). Blah blah blah, friends died oh my god there's a mad writer who stalks her trying to get the hot tea. Girl, five of her friends just died, leave her alone.

That being said, I absolutely adore the aesthetic around old buildings. HOLY FUDGE NUGGETS YOU GUYS WE GET A MAP!! HOW COOL IS THAT?

The ending? a) WHAT WHEN WHY HOW? b) I did not expect any of that oh my god just when everything was turning out to be fine. EVERY FUCKING THEORY I HAD CAREFULLY CONSTRUCTED AND GONE OVER A BAJILLION TIMES WENT CRASH BOOM BANG LIKE A WRECKING BALL MY VERY LITTLE BRAIN CELLS ARE RUNNING LIKE THE HOUSE IS ON FIRE I AM NOT OKAY.

*Exhales loudly*

Felicity Morrow is the equivalent of Dorian from The Picture of Dorian Gray and James from If We Were Villains. For those who don't speak book lingo, it means that she's the gay best friend turned main character with an eccentric style and an obsession with witchcraft (sort of). While I do love love love the mysterious brooding character, she was downright intolerable (for me at least). And let's be honest, the dead girls had more personality than whatever she turned out to be.

Elis, on the other hand, was the real-life Henry Winter. Man, she had it all: mad writer with a murder kink and possessed more knowledge than the entirety of Wikipedia (but not like Hermione Granger from Harry Potter). The only thing she had which Henry lacked was the gayness (except I am convinced that Henry is secretly gay and was simply in the closet). Their character arcs were in perfect sync and it's really hard to tell them apart. The descent into madness? it's all coming back.

I expected the romance to be sizzling or on fire or whatever but unfortunately, it was just there. Where's the flavour? Where's the sexual tension between these gays? Where's the chemistry? My inner Gordon Ramsey is fuming at the lack of spices in this dish.

4/5 stars

wondernaut55's review against another edition

dark mysterious tense slow-paced

gm_vak's review against another edition

dark mysterious tense medium-paced

ufojules's review against another edition

dark mysterious fast-paced

hannahlberg's review against another edition

adventurous dark funny mysterious sad tense medium-paced

This book was really easy to get lost in. I wish I had read it closer to halloween! Spooky and dramatic