We Hunt the Flame, by Hafsah Faizal

iamsad's review against another edition

Honestly? I’m so disappointed.

dinojah's review against another edition

adventurous slow-paced

paperhallucinations's review against another edition

adventurous dark mysterious fast-paced

We Hunt the Flame blew me away. The writing is incredible, the plot is interesting, and the characters are so loveable despite their flaws. Hafsah Faisal is masterful in placing beautiful lines in spots where they maximize impact for the reader. There is always a plot twist or bump in the road around the corner which kept me hooked and quite literally falling off my chair. With snarky comments and humorous remarks, the dialogue and interactions between the characters is so entertaining and the characterization is so good. The growth in Nasir and Zafira is clear throughout all their conflicts with each other and outside forces. The tension between them is phenomenally done and I can almost feel the longing through the pages. The story’s touches on the concept of love and destiny is so influential to the reader and as a whole it’s a stunning book. (Also can we get some applause for that beautiful cover sheeshhh!!)

annarella's review

I loved what was described in the blurb but somehow the book failed to deliver.
I'm a fan of books with an Arabian setting, I appreciated the richness of the details but the plot failed to keep my attention and I struggled.
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are mine.

jelissak's review against another edition

adventurous emotional hopeful mysterious medium-paced

mikhaila's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional funny hopeful inspiring tense medium-paced

nellamoon's review against another edition

As lovely as the writing was, reading this book gave me flashbacks to [b:An Ember in the Ashes|27774758|An Ember in the Ashes (An Ember in the Ashes, #1)|Sabaa Tahir|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1519425615l/27774758._SY75_.jpg|39113604] at almost every turn. At first I thought it was because both are Arabian-inspired, but there are so many similarities between the plot and the characters. Also, I didn't care for the romance. Nasir and Zafira don't have chemistry and I will not be convinced otherwise. I think there's a lot of potential here; the world of Arawiya (my brain keeps reading it as Awayra) seems interesting enough, as do the politics, which we barely scratched the surface of. I hope to see those elements more developed in [b:We Free the Stars|46223364|We Free the Stars (Sands of Arawiya, #2)|Hafsah Faizal|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1570454006l/46223364._SY75_.jpg|64663993].

I wish there were a glossary of terms in the American copy because there's tons of Arabic words in here. That's wonderful of course, it does add to the immerson. I had to stop and look them up everytime and that was tedious.

nesraid's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional mysterious sad tense slow-paced

arnie_woody1173's review against another edition

adventurous challenging emotional hopeful inspiring tense fast-paced

jalovesbooks's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional hopeful medium-paced