The Luminous Dead, by Caitlin Starling

renacuajo's review against another edition

27/09/2020

Read for the prompt of most recent purchase for Becca's Bookopoly Read-A-Thon for September 2020

If the aim of this book was to make the reader go insane along with Gyre after
Spoilergoing around the same fucking cave system like 500 times
, then it was achieved on me. This was less than 500 pages but it felt like an eternity.

Jokes aside, the premise of this story was very intriguing to me despite not being the biggest fan of sci-fi. Caves terrify me, and the concept of being alone in one, even more so, but while reading I felt as if by the time everything was over and done with, I had just reached the halfway point. There were several moments when I thought to myself, "This is it, this must be the end, right? RIGHT?". Yet...it just kept going. Overall OK read.

kt_jams's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional mysterious reflective tense slow-paced

tankiioffline's review against another edition

adventurous challenging emotional tense medium-paced

catiaacribeiro's review against another edition

adventurous challenging dark emotional mysterious reflective sad tense slow-paced

siobhanward's review against another edition

dark tense fast-paced

So this book definitely didn't end up like I thought it would. I grabbed it from a little free library thinking it would be a cool, creepy caving story, then picked it up and realized it was sci fi and was a little disappointed. However, it really did end up being a caving story more than anything else - the sci fi element only really exists to allow some technologies and creatures, but it honestly doesn't have a huge impact otherwise.

Starling built a great and creepy atmosphere, and the main plot was interesting but occasionally repetitive. I think that sticking your protagonist in a cave will do that though - there was just a lot of back and forth. It also felt a bit like there were side plots that never got resolved or never had any real impact. I think I get where Starling was going, but I don't know if some of the plot elements had that impact she intended.

Overall this was a fun and interesting read and I'm glad I picked it up. Starling definitely has a talent for building psychological fear and that was fun to read.

rashi's review against another edition

I had so much hope for this book, it had a great premise but for me the prose is just too removed and so full of boring detail of mundane things that I just couldn’t be bothered keeping up with it, by the tenth chapter I was just wanting it to be over already and that to me is a signal for a DNF. I can’t believe it’s deemed a romance and I really hope they don’t get together at the end because they are AWFUL for each other, Em literally drugs Gyre without her consent MULTIPLE TIMES just in the little bit that I read and they’re supposed to end up together?!?? It dragged on and they are immature people and Em is a rich privileged psychopath and I hate it I’m sorry

kelseyb's review against another edition

adventurous mysterious slow-paced

kennabrooke's review against another edition

adventurous dark mysterious tense medium-paced

jackiescifi's review against another edition

dark emotional mysterious tense medium-paced

skypep's review against another edition

dark mysterious medium-paced