Someone Like You by Sarah Dessen

jmj697mn's review against another edition

Cute ya book. A little too positive about the whole teen pregnancy bit. Looking forward to reading the rest of Sarah Dessen's books.

wintermomof4's review against another edition

emotional hopeful reflective fast-paced

gpittfield's review against another edition

touching, thought provoking, beautiful story of friendship and struggles, and triumphs

lacestow7's review against another edition

I enjoyed this book so much! I honestly haven’t read this book in so long that I forgot a lot of what happened, but I was actually glad for that.

This book has romance, but it isn’t the main focus of the book. Halley is navigating her first serious relationship with a boy she thinks she loves. She goes through ups and downs, and eventually learns how she deserves to be treated because Macon sure doesn’t really know how to do it right.

Macon is your typical bad boy, but he doesn’t really have many redeeming qualities, and exhibits little to no growth throughout the novel. I feel like this is very realistic at times, especially for boys still in high school. Not everyone meets “the one” in high school, and that’s okay. This relationship teaches Halley a lot, though.

The mother-daughter relationship in this book is perfectly done. It shows that irritation I think most daughters feel with their moms, especially when they’re teenagers. Halley is growing up, and her mom hasn’t really adapted to this new version of her daughter. She’s still trying to navigate this relationship as she always has, but by the end of the book, she has realized that she needs to give Halley space to make her own decisions and mistakes.

Dessen has a way of making her teenage characters so relatable. I didn’t feel like Halley was annoying. I was placed right in her shoes, and felt for her. I got annoyed at her mother, and completely understood the things she was feeling. Dessen perfectly captures angst, and growing up, while still making the main teen character relatable even as an adult reader.

And the real heart behind this book is the friendship between Halley and Scarlett. It is so pure. They both love each other dearly and would do anything for each other. Good female friendships are really like this, so if you find a friend like Scarlett or Halley, never let them go. I love strong, believable female friendships, and this was one of them. These two tell each other the truth, but also, are there for one another if things go horribly wrong, and I love how open and judgment-free their relationship is. I would most definitely read a book about their changing relationship throughout the years into adulthood.

I really enjoyed Halley’s character, and didn’t feel like she was annoying or whiny. I like watching her growth throughout this book. She did some growing, and learned her self-worth, and even though she is still growing at the end, she comes so far, and that just made me so proud of her.

loradawn's review against another edition

hopeful reflective sad fast-paced

Super easy to read, cute ya. I really enjoyed the story. It made me a bit nostalgic.

janneke2302's review against another edition

challenging emotional medium-paced

I'm not sure how I feel about this book. The writing feels very timeless. Other than a few instances where I was reminded that cell phones didn't exist yet, it really wasn't noticeable that this book is older than I am. The story was quite different from what I expected. The synopsis made me think this book would center around Halley and Scarlett's friendship, but it ended up focusing way more on Halley's relationship with her mother and with Macon. While I did enjoy the book overall, it felt more like the plot of a lifetime movie meant to teach teens morals than a book that was actually written for teens to relate to.

kp_17's review against another edition

emotional reflective fast-paced

cocobreathesbooks's review against another edition

• Strong character development? N/A
  • Loveable characters? N/A

jeslyncat's review against another edition

Everything by Dessen is a must read--that's really all I can say. I have never read anything that she has put on paper without loving it.

yuliyono's review against another edition

...just wonderful....gabungan film Juno (Ellen Page) dan Bestfriend (Nikita Willy), setiap remaja perlu membaca buku ini deh...