theaudioauditor's review

Audio book review.

So well-written! A fantastic group of authors has helped create an excellent collection of sci-fi short stories that give you just enough pages to be almost satisfied. I would have been excellent if each of these was fleshed out into a full-length novel. For some, I think an expanded story would do very well in the market. My recommendation is to read them on separate days, give your mind a chance to absorb one before diving into another. I struggle with short story collections in audio for this very reason. Stories tend to blend together. Luckily these authors have such distinct voices and writing styles. Would highly recommend!

overhillunderhill's review

Standard issue with short story collections, some good some less so.

natalia_macedo's review

reflective medium-paced

lyriclorelei's review

Don't have much to say about this one I really liked a couple and didn't mind the rest.

nanassanoli's review

adventurous dark informative mysterious reflective tense medium-paced

sonshinelibrarian's review against another edition

Since this is a collection of short stories, I'll make a quick note on each one.

Ark by Roth - Probably my favorite of the collection. Enjoyed the story and the characters.
Summer Frost by Crouch - I do enjoy explorations of AI becoming sentient. This was an interesting short story focused on that. I feel rather meh about it, though.
Emergency Skin by Jemisin - This one might tie for favorite. I particularly enjoyed the narrative style.
You Have Arrived at Your Destination by Towles - I did not care for this one at all.
The Last Conversation by Tremblay - I guessed where this was going from the beginning, but it's told in an interesting way.
Randomize by Weir - This one just didn't seem to fit in the collection. It was mildly interesting, though.

jenc's review against another edition

emotional hopeful reflective

Collections are always tough to rate because the quality of the parts tend to vary.
Jemisin: 5*
Roth: 4.5*
Crouch: 3.5*
Towels: 3*
Tremblay: The premise is interesting but this one was boring, if Im honest. I wish I saw what others seem to get from his works.
Weir: This was barely a story. Or, rather, this story needs more space. Right when the thing happens, its over.

pheonixangel84's review

hopeful reflective fast-paced

tschmidt's review against another edition

adventurous dark emotional funny hopeful mysterious sad tense medium-paced

tellsoftales's review