Alone With You in the Ether, by Olivie Blake

emjustem's review

emotional slow-paced

kabrahams's review against another edition

I should've known this wouldn't quite be my cup of tea based on my experience with "Atlas Six," but I wanted to give Olivie Blake another try because of all the hype. Some of the writing is so beautiful and in about the middle I was really swept up in it and couldn't stop reading, but most of it felt flat or overwritten. The narrators at the beginning were very annoying to me and I was glad when they went away, but also confused as to why they went away if they were included at all. A lot of things near the end happen in summary, so it was hard to be present in the moment and that didn't help me connect to characters that I already found hard to connect to. The characters feel very real, just not especially likable. The world feels at once too real and also too highly filtered by philosophy, passion, and artistry. I was also alarmed at how much the characters depended on each other to stay mentally healthy (and, to a lesser degree, their other passions/projects) because that's not healthy at all! I understand why so many people love it and I wish I'd loved it too, but alas.

m00ncake's review

i want olivie blake's writing tattoed on my body

benmars8's review

challenging emotional hopeful inspiring lighthearted reflective relaxing sad medium-paced

kathaleengrace's review

The overall story I found to be a bit slow. However, the incredible writing and the beautiful prose make up for how slow the story is. For example,
"They see you closer than you are, but you're further from reach than either you or they can imagine."

"So when people say you're alone in the Ether...?"
"Alone in everything. In time and space, in existence in religion."

amesketches's review

Time to go read twilight again because I need to feel brain dead after all the thinking this book made me do.

Super weird book. Olivie Blake is an amazing writer and you can really feel all the emotion she poured in to this book. I almost felt like I wasn’t smart enough to understand this book?? There’s so many complicated ideas and feelings, and you aren’t really sure whether the ending is a happy ending or not.
In my personal opinion Regan and Aldo were incredibly toxic together, but in the beginning they weren’t. Sometimes this type of love isn’t necessarily healthy. As the book went along though I felt a dislike for both of them. I don’t like the characters, but I can appreciate them for what they are. I don’t really agree on some of the sexual topics talked about in the book, but overall this book brought up a lot of interesting emotions and I thought it was really well written.

stefiecentauri's review

slow-paced

malakdiouri's review

challenging emotional reflective sad medium-paced

justhayl's review

emotional funny reflective medium-paced

fleurmourante's review against another edition

i just died. reading this made me rethink all the other books i've been rating 5 stars