The Kite Runner, by Khaled Hosseini

elysi's review against another edition

challenging emotional sad tense medium-paced

1234asantewaa's review against another edition

lavitiz's review against another edition

Literally the saddest, and best book I’ve ever read

bookmanomkar's review against another edition

The kite runner is a heartbreaking story of friendship between two Afghan boys, Amir and Hassan. The ties of friendship between them broke when Amir didn't go forward to help Hassan when he got trapped in a tragic situation. Despite Amir's betrayal, Hassan always wanted to see Amir happy and remain his true and loyal friend.
This story travels through various historical events like the Soviet-Afghan war, Taliban rule, 9/11 attack, etc. This book made me curious to know the afghan history and encouraged me to learn more about it. Description of Afghanistan during Taliban rule is so devastating and hell in which children of Afghanistan used to live in those days was really difficult for me to read and digest.
The story is well narrated and the writing style kept me hooked throughout. The secret about Hassan gives a major turn to the story and makes it more interesting.
Though Amir is the protagonist of this story, I feel that Hassan is the real hero who has truly fulfilled his vows of friendship. After everything that Amir had done, Hassan still had good feelings for Amir in his heart. It was really impressive that Hassan named his son after his favourite character from a story which Amir used to read for him and raised the boy sharing his good memories about Amir with him.
This book taught me that there is always a way to be good again. No, you can't fix the sins you committed in the past. They always leave their brutal marks on your soul. All you can do is apply the right medicine by doing the right thing which can lower your pain.

emma_zhang's review against another edition

challenging emotional sad tense fast-paced

sierraalvernaz's review against another edition

dark emotional sad medium-paced

laurenlinderman's review against another edition

adventurous hopeful sad

hisdarkmaterials's review against another edition

Decent but tired plot devices.

grendels_mother's review against another edition

Another challenged book in my county.

sapphiremarie's review against another edition

1.5