helentbower's review against another edition

How do I know I just read a business book written by 4 men? Page 97 had the words "sex slave."

radballen's review against another edition

Life altering.

ellsbeth's review against another edition

While the strategies presented in this books are worth considering, I found myself struggling with the writing style. The authors kept extolling the virtues of their strategies, how "great" they are, and how much they will change your life. It felt a bit like reading an infomercial. The numerous examples felt half formed. The strategies presented seemed like common sense, but there was very little evidence beyond anecdotes to proved their effectiveness. There were only 5 citations in the book, despite multiple areas where references could/should be added. It is possible I just struggle with the genre of business books that feel more like an infomercial than good research. I will try to be more conscious about using the strategies in the book, but reading it was a slog for me.

gritgirl's review against another edition

I wish I'd had this book years ago. I learned the "I" statement a long, long time ago, but when the other part dropped into defensiveness, I never knew how to salvage the conversation. This books tells you what to do once good conversations go bad. I'm going back to bed to cry about a few lost relationships now, because I didn't have these tools. Can somebody send in some cookies too?

zorkkanna's review

informative medium-paced

arachnistar's review

informative

benedorm's review against another edition

Four and a half stars. One of the better business/professional books I've ever read -- and I'm being honest when I tell you that I didn't expect that when I picked it up. Nothing in here seemed all that groundbreaking to me -- most of the principles were ones I've encountered in facilitation training, or in therapy. But you'd be hard-pressed to find a more concise and systematic distillation of said principles. It's been a long time since I've read a business book I'd actually recommend to someone else, but this one fits the bill.

amywong's review against another edition

informative reflective fast-paced

This is probably one of the better self-help books I have read, maybe best because the information this provides is very helpful. I either have been practicing the suggestions or found new info and perspective to consider. For example, not going to bed angry is true however, you can't force a conversation on emotions either which means sometimes you do have to go to bed angry because it's better to have a conversation that involves both parties to be at their best. The sleep may also help you understand your emotions better than if you are arguing and processing your emotions at the same time. The book is also self-aware in a practical sense! Which I've never seen in a self-help book before. It knows all this information isn't useful without practice. So it actually tells you to refer back if needed or read a chapter at a time and practice between chapters. That is the self-awareness I enjoy in a self-help book rather than cheesy forced self-awareness for humor. The book doesn't just tell you how to navigate conversations, it provides example scenarios and possible solutions or routes a conversation may go. I recommend this to anyone who is in or will be in a leadership role or anyone really. I think anyone will find something useful in here.

teach_travel_craft's review against another edition

Read this book for my graduate program in Education Leadership. It has some interesting tips and ideas for discussing contentious issues prevalent in education. I also thought a lot of the tips and ideas are great for relationships and as I was getting married in November the advice was appreciated. However, it was poorly organized and dragged on for far longer than the advice was worth.

cathreohorn's review against another edition

Slightly repetitive. It's hard to believe anyone is such a shitty conversationalist that these tips would be helpful, but I guess advice that amounts to "not talking isn't talking" is helpful to some.