The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Vol. 1 by Alan Moore

adventurous dark mysterious medium-paced

xeyra1's review

3.5 out of 5

osc's review

A pleasure to read, every character in the book seems to be pulled from some other piece of literary fiction. I especially enjoyed when a new character would be introduced that I wasn't familiar with, a quick Google search would pull up the background of this or that individual and provide the context for why Moore chose him or her. This caused the book to take 3 times longer to read, but it was worth it. Understanding who these characters are within their own fiction is what makes having them show up in Moore's work, so much fun.

i_have_no_process's review

adventurous dark funny medium-paced

Great execution on a familiar trope (the old intellectual property crossover!)

tessaf's review

I knew there was a chance it would be bad, I just didn't think it would be this bad.

ssweeny's review

adventurous dark funny fast-paced

posies23's review

The Book Club of Doom book for July, 2017.

tea_anne4's review

adventurous dark fast-paced

aprilshelene's review

adventurous dark funny fast-paced

shadybanana's review

I had heard about the movie, but I didn’t know that the comic was the main origin. I read the movie had very bad reviews. I mean we are talking about review worse than Ryan Reynold's 'Green Lantern'. Any way I started reading the comic and believe me, it was freaking awesome. To know that all of my favorite characters, Captain Nemo, Invisible Man, Dr. Jekyll (aka Hyde), James Bond, Sherlock & Mycroft Holmes and
Spoiler James Moriarty (so freaking unbelievable, by the way I hope you didn’t read this spoiler, otherwise you have ruined the comic for yourself)
that they were all together and see them all together in one story arc is like over dozing on cool-ness. The badass-ery was top-notch. The 5 main heroes were marvelously depicted in the comic. It was like all of there authors had sit together and written this. Epic stuff! The art lacked a bit at some places and was (if I may say) a bit over comical at some places. A general hilarity pervasive in comics was present in adequate amounts.
Spoiler All the part about Moriarty being a shadow fighter and a creation of Millitary Intelligence was difficult to digest and very weird not to mention totally unexpected.
However the character of James Bond was not what I think it should have been. Lastly, the ending was actually not as good as the rest of the comic. Also, the character of Miss Murray has been kept 'contained' for far too much time. Still a 4/4.5 star