The Inexplicable Logic of My Life, by Benjamin Alire Sáenz

ostrowk's review against another edition

I can't wait to give this book to the high school seniors I'm about to teach. I hope they devour it, hand it off, devour it, hand it off. I cried straight through the final chunk of pages. The three seniors—Sal, Sam, and Fito—are beautifully drawn. A lot of bad shit happens to them, and sometimes it even starts to feel like too much, but the language of Sal's narration and the beauty of this chosen family save it. This novel helped teach me how to "whistle in the dark," and I hope it'll help you, too.

ahungarianbookworm's review against another edition

emotional inspiring slow-paced

lndenmere's review against another edition

I will get back to it eventually okay!! I am simply going to need yo restart it

ifoundthebook's review against another edition

emotional funny hopeful inspiring reflective sad tense medium-paced

blomsterdrengen's review against another edition

THIS BOOK IS EVEN BETTER THAN "Aristotle and dante discover the secrets of the universe".

Everything in this book is amazing. The friendships, the family dynamics, the writing style. I loved everything so much.

ratdebibliotheque's review against another edition

It was quite boring at times and the story wasn’t as captivating. But from first instinct I really thought that I’d despise this book because it’s about teens in high school. It is quite good and I loved the friendship between the protagonist and his girl friend (forgot names). Not bad.

aggiereads15's review against another edition

Benjamin Alire Sáenz's writing is so beautiful. 😍😍😍😍

book_stabbed's review against another edition

I believe everything that is around you, builds you. Whatever you listen to or read makes you. So it is natural for people to say that there should be a filter to those things. Not all things are good. But not all things are bad either. People can protect you, but to a limit. After that, you're on your own. And the journey, that we have to make on our own isn't always easy (understatement of the century). But still, we press on and push through, no matter how difficult it gets.

This story is about Salvador-his past, his future- and his closely-knit circle of people who he very dearly loves. But some events force him to change and rethink. Change isn't easy and is largely unwelcomed, but it is inevitable and unavoidable.

Ever since he could remember, Sal's adoptive gay father always protected him. His mima had always loved him. Sam had always been his best friend. His family had always supported him. And his mother had always been dead.

The last one never bothered him-he hardly remembered her-until now. After a tragic incident, Sam and Sal grow closer than ever before. Slowly and steadily, Sal cracks out of his shell when he has to deal with some problems, especially now that he can't always be protected anymore.

With a transitioning life, troubling events, hurt, pain, anger, happiness and sorrow, [a:Benjamin Alire Sáenz|4841310|Benjamin Alire Sáenz|https://images.gr-assets.com/authors/1386527200p2/4841310.jpg] takes you on a journey and a half. Though his style of writing is somewhat simple, it leaves a mark, no doubt.

We see recurring themes in a few of his books, but that does nothing to stop the book from becoming boring. It just hooks you onto the book. Once you finish, the sadness that grips you, despite the ending, just underlines the fact that this book is much more than awesome. You experience his life, evolve, grow and learn to accept the truth with Sal.

Such a beautifully written book deserves much more credit than it has received . Definitely the kind of book you want to read again as soon as you have reached the last page.

maryhurrr's review against another edition

This book consumed me. It spoke to me in a way I didn't think to be possible. The journey to find where you belong perhaps? The different meaning of family? How to move forward while the past hangs over you?

I want to buy this and gift it to the people I love.

pugslikemybooks's review against another edition

✓ completed the bibliothon challenge of reading a book that you were really excited for but never picked up