mika3's review against another edition

emotional hopeful informative inspiring lighthearted reflective slow-paced

I didn't really like this. Some of the stories were nice. Not sure how well the science actually holds up and she often says things she has no evidence for as fact that are just her opinions. However, as someone that is learning how much perspective and mindset can change your experience of things, the exercises and writings she advises are really good. I think it's genuinely improved my skills of reframing a tough situation and believing in myself a little more. They're really good as journal prompts. However, personally, there are somewhere around 6 of them in this whole book so I'm not sure it was really worth it.

On reflection: The content itself maybe garners 2.5 ☆s . The realisations and mindset changes and alteration of my overall outlook on life amount to 4.5 ☆s

traumgespinst's review against another edition

informative

drubin87's review against another edition

This book has some amazing concepts but I feel it could be about 20 -30% shorter.

sailorgold_'s review against another edition

I was very skeptic about this book at first, but I actually feel like I've learned not only about stress, but avout myself.
I enjoyed the fact that it was nuanced and how slowly McGonigal gets her point across (my problem with self help book is how patronizing they often feel, and how they gloss over anything that doesn't go their way. McGonigal is a scholar and it shows.)

ipreferquiet's review against another edition

I would recommend this book to anyone who is open to a mindset change about stress and adversity. It's the best non-fiction book I've read in years (but I don't read non-fiction much).

terezijaaaa's review against another edition

hopeful informative inspiring reflective medium-paced

This book helped me. It shook me and told me: "You got this."

bootman's review against another edition

Who among us doesn’t deal with stress? This book uses a TON of psychological studies to help you rethink stress and learn how it actually makes you awesome. This book is a must read, and I can’t wait to read more books from this author.

kristenbeck's review against another edition

This is one of the best books I have read to help you deal with stress and anxiety. She gives you research and examples on how to use your reactions to stress and anxiety to be beneficial to you instead of harmful. She talks about how you can benefit by simply changing your belief from "stress is harmful" to "stress is actually good for me". I would highly recommend this to everyone.

emschramp's review against another edition

challenging hopeful informative inspiring reflective medium-paced

galal's review against another edition

informative reflective medium-paced